The benefits of mushrooms are numerous. Each variety of mushrooms provide a host of different healthful and medicinal properties. The shitake mushroom may help to fight cancer cells and infectious disease, boost the immune system, promote brain function, and serves as a rich source of B vitamins and vitamin D. Other shiitake health benefits include its ability to aid weight loss, support cardiovascular health, improve energy levels and reduce inflammation.
Shiitake mushrooms have a woody flavour and meaty texture; they can be purchased dried, cooked or raw. Add shiitakes to soups, salads, meat dishes, stir fries and omelettes.
Mushroom “Bone” Broth
(Vegetarian and vegan friendly recipe as an alternative to bone broth)
Recipe from the Adrenal Reset Diet by Dr. Alan Glen Christianson
- 12 cups water
- 1 large onion, skins left on and cut into chunks
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1 two-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 to 2 tsp sea salt
- Place all ingredients into a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Place a strainer into a large bowl or pot and pour the stock through it.
- Stock may be frozen for later use or stored in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days.