Packed with greens, proteins and fibre plus a rainbow of nutrients, this is the perfect salad that will also double as a complete meal!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/4 cup dried, unsweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 4 beets peeled
- 1 head of kale chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp wasabi (or other mustard if preferred)
- Juice of a lime
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Dice sweet potato into 3cm cubes. Peel fresh beets dice into 3cm cubes.
- Toss on a baking sheet with coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Bake for about 40-45 minutes, tossing occasionally until the vegetables are soft.
- While the vegetables are cooking, blanch the kale to reduce bitterness and soften the greens. To blanch, stir the chopped kale leaves into boiling water for 2-3 minutes, drain, then run under cold water to stop the cooking process.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sweet potato, beets, pecans, cranberries, kale and quinoa.
- To make dressing, place vinegar, wasabi and lime juice in a blender. Blend on medium for 30 seconds. Switch to lowest setting and slowly pour in oil with motor running.
Add dressing to salad and toss well.
Recipe by Saimaa Miller