Consuming fruits and vegetables of all kinds has long been associated with a reduced risk of many lifestyle-related health conditions. Many studies have suggested that increasing consumption of plant foods like broccoli decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancer and overall mortality. It may also promote a healthy complexion and hair, increased energy, oestrogen metabolism and overall lower weight. Broccoli is a great source of vitamins K and C, a good source of folate (folic acid) and also provides potassium, fibre. Vitamin C – builds collagen, which forms body tissue and bone, and helps cuts and wounds heal. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and protects the body from damaging free radicals. Broccoli is also high in indole-3-carbinol which helps in oestrogen metabolism.
Recipe by Gourmandelle
- 1 kg broccoli, frozen
- 3 potatoes, medium, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion, medium
- 3 Tbsps nutritional yeast flakes
- olive oil, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- mixed seeds for topping
- Add the broccoli, potatoes, and onion into a pot and boil until soft – about 30-40 minutes.
- Drain the water into a bowl and put the veggies in a blender. Add the garlic cloves, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast and blend until smooth. Add the water, little by little, until you reach the desired consistency.
- Top with some mixed seeds and drizzle with olive oil.